I am a South African trail runner from a little farm in Natal. I found my passion for the trails when I realised I could combine my love of cross country and running, with mountains.
I have loved and competed in cross country and running since school days, but found my passion in Trail Running in 2011. Trail Running is a new, up and coming adventure sport which is not based on PB’s, splits and times while still maintaining the competitive edge that people crave. It requires a variety of technical skills including steep ascents and descents combined with speed and endurance. This makes for an interesting and really fun sport to train for while immersing oneself in nature and the mountains. My passion lies in growing and promoting the sport of Trail Running. South Africa has perfect resources for this sport to be enjoyed and for our athletes to compete at an international level.
I love to see others achieve as well as just to get them out there into the mountains – appreciating what our country has to offer. Through this appreciation of what we’ve got right under our feet, I hope that conservation shines through, and we continue to look after our little patch of planet.
- Commit! Once you’ve committed to a goal, whether in the form of a training regime, an event, or a more healthy eating plan, share it. You’re more likely to stay true to it that way.
- Treat fitness and exercise as a choice not as a treat. Humans were made to fuel up to do things, not do things to fuel up.
- Find a training buddy, group or mentor to enjoy the ride with. It doesn’t have to be a solo mission of boring workouts in the gym!
- Set a big goal/commitment, but also small ones along the way so that you feel the satisfaction of achievement.
- Even it its 10 minutes a day, find out how to strengthen your body bit by bit and just stick to that. Whether it’s yoga, pushups or a quick stretching routine. Don’t let yourself down.